Monday, September 13, 2010

Sometimes the whole is LESS THAN the sum of it's parts

So, I've been trying to eat a little bit healthier. Sometimes. A little bit. Anyway, I saw this recipe for a cold soup that was made with a bunch of stuff I love. It's still kinda hot here in Austin, so I thought this would be a great meal for a summer lunch or dinner. Chilled Cucumber, Avocado and Shrimp Soup. Check it out:
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
  • 1.5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup shrimp, peeled, cooked and diced
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • 4 medium shrimp, peeled and cooked
Put half of the avocado (peeled), the diced cucumber, chicken broth, yogurt, lime juice and salt into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Chill for at least an hour. Pour soup into 4 bowls. Peel and dice other half of avocado. Top each bowl with some diced avocado, green onion and 1 whole shrimp.

This is a bad pic - my counter tops are NOT that green!
I gotta say, it smelled fresh and green. It looked fresh and green.

I was really looking forward to it... First bite - yum! Next bite - less yum. Next - even less yum. I didn't last much longer, and neither did the rest of the soup. How can this be? I love every ingredient. OK, ok, maybe love is a bit strong for plain low-fat yogurt, but that's not the main ingredient or the point.

1 comment:

Meg said...

It looks yummy, but maybe you are right and the ingredients would be better separated. Annemarie absolutely HATES cold soups, so we never have them. She is missing out on such great gazpacho! There is a cookbook at Costco with low fat yummy recipies called Cooking Light. Like any of us needs another cookbook though, right?